What is Tapping?
Tapping or EFT, otherwise known as Emotional Freedom Therapy combines the ancient Chinese practice of acupressure with modern psychology and involves tapping Meridian points on the head and body.
It is useful for clearing limiting beliefs that are stopping you from achieving your goals, for weight loss, body image and food cravings, and for anxiety, fears and phobias, Tapping is also proving to be a powerful technique for giving pain relief.
Directions for Tapping
Set up Statement
- Decide on the wording of the issue
- Scale the intensity of the issue on a scale of 0-10 (where 0 = fear and anxiety and 10 = confidence)
- Tap the karate chop point on either hand and say the setup statement
(An example of a setup statement might be “ Even though I am worried and anxious about ……… I completely love and accept myself” or “ Even though ……….(issue)….. I completely love and accept myself”)
Negative Tapping Sequence
- Starting at the eyebrow point, begin tapping each of the 8 points in the following sequence between 7 to 10 times whilst repeating the negative reminder phrase, for example
“ I am worried and anxious about……………………. ”
- Continue until you start to feel some relief and then start to change the negative phrase as you get more specific with the issue. For example,
” I now give this worry a voice”
” I choose to feel better about this………(issue)…..now”
- Inner edge of eyebrow
- Side of eye
- Under eye
- Under nose
- Collar bone
- Under arm
- Top of head
Positive Tapping Sequence
Start at the eyebrow point; begin tapping each of the 8 points, 7-10 times whilst saying your positive phrases, such as;
- Eyebrow I am comfortable and in complete control at all times
- Side of Eye I choose to confident now
- Under Eye my body and mind are healthy, relaxed and calm
- Under Nose I am becoming more and more calm everyday
- Chin I am happy that I am so comfortable
- Collar Bone I love knowing that life is easy
- Under Arm I love feeling safe and in control
- Top of Head I choose to feel good about myself now
Now take a good, deep, slow breath and allow the energy to move through you.
These are just examples of positive statements and you can choose from the list below or others that you may read. The important thing is that you are specific about what bothers you and that you have positive statements that resonate with you.
- My mind leads and my body follows
- I trust that my body is healthy, calm and relaxed
- I approach this project with excitement, optimism and confidence
- I choose to overcome my issue
- My body moves naturally as I exercise
- I eat healthily and take care of my body
- I practice my breathing and relaxations regularly and as I do so I am becoming more and more calm and relaxed
- I love and approve of myself
- Money comes easily to me
- People love me everywhere I go
There are a lot more empowering statements in the Katharine Graves book on Hypnobirthing and on The Wise Hippo site. You should practice with the ones that appeal to you most as these will be right for you and you can also make up your own to work with.